December 23, 2008

a nice, little tradition!

My mom surprised me at the beginning of December... she called up and asked if she could bring something over? Well, of course I said yes! And, what do you think my dear, little mother had up her sleeve? She had a 3 foot tree and 12 festively wrapped Christmas gifts to place underneath it! She also had a hardcover book that she gave me, "The 12 Days of Christmas."


Each day, at lunchtime, for the first 12 days of December, Tommie and I unwrapped one of the gifts! Mom was organized and had attached a corresponding number to each gift. We also "sang the 12 Days of Christmas song".. and yes, we sang loud and proud and a little off key...before we unwrapped...just to see what ornament to expect!


Although we're quite certain the 12 Days of Christmas begins after Christmas...we decided to start on the first of December. You know, so we could enjoy the ornaments the entire month!


The ornament above is TWO TURTLE DOVES. The ornament below is: THREE FRENCH HENS .. I love their shoes! Don't you?





EIGHT MAIDS-A-MILKING...see the number eight? All of the ornaments had the day number on them.

Here is the link, if you'd like to see the others! Just click here:

DEPARTMENT 56 KRINKLES. I plan to re-wrap these, repeat and continue this tradition each year. Thanks a bunch, Mom. You know we loved them!



smile, wink, nod!












2 comments:

Lisa said...

That's a lovely tradition!

Brandi said...

Your mom is sooo cool. What a great idea. Kind of like an advent calendar with a twist. I love it.