January 30, 2009

SHABBY CHIC CRAFTS, A GOOD BOOK AND MY DOG!

I really, really enjoyed making these recycled Valentine Sugar Cookies...from the .25 wool sweater I found a few weeks back. The idea came from this exciting blog: CHASING CHEERIOS which I will soon be adding to my sidebar!

While I was at it...I cut up the cuffs on the wool sweater and created a cell phone holder and digital camera holder. I hardly ever use my cell phone... usually it's stuffed in my purse for emergency's... and it seems like I'd take along my digital camera more...if it were protected inside my purse! I sewed vintage buttons on... I figure I might as well start enjoying them...rather then keeping them in a jar!



I just had to share this picture of my dog Lucy!



I found a really interesting historical-fiction at the local Goodwill...little did I realize...it's for 7th-12th graders!!! But, it's good! And once again, I realize how little I learned in school. And, that it's never too late to educate yourself! smile, wink, nod.

Here's a little blurb about the book- just in case your interested....


This historical novel explores the life of Harriet Hemings, one of Jefferson's household slaves and possibly his daughter. While the character of Harriet is largely fictional, her story is set firmly within an authentic historical context. The plot is revealed through Harriet's diary, a device that occasionally seems forced. A very light-skinned slave, she is favored in the Monticello household where she feels secure and protected. Other less fortunate members of the slave community urge her to make plans to take her freedom when she turns 21, a freedom that Jefferson has promised to all of the children of his supposed mistress, Sally Hemings. It is not until she is almost raped by the drunken husband of Jefferson's granddaughter that Harriet begins to contemplate what life might be like at Monticello after Jefferson dies. Thus, she makes the decision to move to Washington, D. C., and to pass as white. Knowing that this is her best hope for a decent life does not prevent her from feeling guilt over abandoning her race or grief over leaving behind all that she knows and loves. The moral dilemmas Harriet faces are played out against the backdrop of Jefferson's own ambivalence about the institution of slavery. The most telling observation in the novel is that the whites find slavery most repugnant when those enslaved look almost white themselves. Harriet's plight is poignant, and she is a finely drawn, believable character. The racism inherent in the enslavement of Africans is clearly exposed. The evils of slavery appear in a stark light even in the relatively benign environment of Monticello. Exploring the thoughts and feelings of both blacks and whites, this book should provide readers with insights into one of the most significant moral problems in American history.



Happy Friday!




2 comments:

Lisa said...

Those Valentines are just too cute!!

Wee Pip said...

Great crafts! That book sounds interesting. I'm always amazed to think that the same country founded on "all men created equal" would have slavery.