December 19, 2008

Beyond Academics!


I am getting old. A little Friday morning oxy-moron going on, here. The things I love about it? Wisdom and inner peace. Knowing what to get worked up over and what to step around. The ability to look past the negativity, that once rocked my world.
I love teaching my son this quality, prematurely.
I'll give you just one example: The other night he was up from 2 until 4:30 in the morning...as was I. He had insomnia. When he awoke the next morning, he announced in his most whiniest voice ever, "well, this is going to be a bad day, since I was up most of the night!" I looked at him, myself suffering from a PMS migrane and cramps and lack of sleep and yes, I could of joined in the negativity...but instead I said, "don't say that... this could be one of the best days of your life...we can watch movies and do read-alouds, put a puzzle together, make ornaments, etc.".... "Tommie, it's what you want and make it to be." That day, we managed to get minimal homeschooling done. But, I hope he learned something far more then academics on this day... how he can control his thoughts and attitudes by choosing good thoughts or the bad in life. We all have bad days. You have to. Hence, Ecclisatics. There is a time for everything. But, you can also exercise your God-given right to dust yourself off and move forward. Look for the good.
Even if it's just watching the blue jay eat your leftover pop-tart, that you just tossed out the patio door! smile-wink-nod. Just keep looking for the good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great approach! A positive attitude will serve better than any amount of academics.
And as I have a cold, the idea of snuggling up with movies and read-alouds sounds perfect!

Texan Zombie Goddess said...

I always do this for them but never for me lol.